Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kid Recipes--Peanutbutter and jelly, the RIGHT way

This is an older story, but as I had to make sandwiches for lunches today, I was reminiscing.

A couple of years ago, my son came home from daycare raving about peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches. I was surprised, as I had never been able to get him to eat them. I figured tastes change as kids get older, and went out and bought peanutbutter and jelly.

No dice. "These don't taste right!"

Tried a different make of peanutbutter. A different type of jelly. Nope. "YUK! You're making them wrong!"

I surrendered, jokingly (okay, sarcastically) suggested he find out from daycare what I'm doing wrong, and forgot about it for a while.

A week or so later, he comes home saying he now knows the right way to make peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches, so on Saturday, we pull out the jars and bread and he directs:

"First, you need two slices of bread. Put the JELLY on this slice, and the PEANUTBUTTER on the other slice." (Good news--so far, I haven't failed cooking school...this really was how I made the other, failed sandwiches...) "NOW, you FOLD the peanutbutter slice in half--and give that part to Andy."

I stop. "Andy?"

"Yes. My friend Andy from daycare what likes peanutbutter."

"'Cuz you still DON'T actually like peanutbutter."

"Right. So I eat THIS part," he says cheerfully as he folds the jelly half of the sandwich and starts munching. "and its really tasty. I can take Andy his sandwich on Monday."

"Or...daddy can eat it." *sigh*

But I had to ask--"WHY didn't you just ask for a JELLY SANDWICH?"

"That just sounds stupid."

To this day, I serve him "peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches without the peanutbutter."

No comments:

Post a Comment